It is a statutory requirement that colleges, like schools, have a governing body called a corporation.
The Group’s Corporation is known as East Kent College Governing Body. The Governing Body has an agreed Public Value Statement which can be viewed here (add hyperlink to document on Group site). Its 10 members consist of volunteers who are drawn from the community, and a staff and student member from the Group. The Governors offer experience from sectors such as business, local government, education and the public service sector. Independent members are appointed by the Governing Body and the Staff Governor is elected by the staff of the Group. The Student Governor is the elected Sabbatical Student Union President.
The Governing Body’s role is to agree a strategic direction for the EKC Group, setting objectives and monitoring the results. The Governing Body supports the Group in achieving the delivery of a high-quality learning experience for students by providing a strategic role and not becoming involved with the operational management of the individual Colleges. The Governing Body is governed by its adopted Instrument and Articles. The Group has decided its own standing orders for good governance within the statutory framework.
The Group’s Instrument and Articles of Government (view here) determine the duties and responsibilities of the Governing Body. The Governing Body is responsible for:
- determining the educational character and mission of the Group and for oversight of its activities;
- approving the quality strategy of the institution;
- ensuring the effective and efficient use of resources, the solvency of the Group and the Governing Body and safeguarding assets;
- approving annual estimates of income and expenditure;
- the appointment, grading, suspension, dismissal and determination of the pay and conditions of service of the holders of senior posts and the Clerk;
- establishing a framework for the pay and conditions of service of all other staff.
The Governing Body meets on a structured basis and the minutes can be found here. More information about the roles of our Governors and joining our Governing Body can be found here.
If you are an existing Governor wishing to access the Resources Library please click here.